I used to have a couple of different egg casseroles in my freezer meal rotation. They were simple ways to make eggs for many, and it wasn’t uncommon for us to have the for a weekday breakfast simply because it was about as easy to stick four of them in the freezer as it was to make “yolky” eggs for seven kids on a given morning! Efficiency, mama, efficiency! 🙂
Unfortunately, my two favorite egg casserole recipes were loaded with carbs—one had shredded potatoes (or shredded hash browns) in the bottom and the other had toasted bread cubes. So I really haven’t made a lot of them lately.
Enter this amazing recipe. I made it for a ladies’ brunch, and a low carbing friend said, “This is so good. It’s a shame it isn’t low carb.” She thought it had to have potatoes or something else in it. But it doesn’t!
I will put the ingredients for one, but if you have read much of what I have written about household efficiency and kitchen/menu planning, you know I don’t like to make one of anything. So the ingredients for four (one for now; one for the freezer!) are in parentheses following each ingredient.
Each pan serves six to eight people well.
- Amazing Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound sausage, turkey or regular (4 lbs)
- ¼ to ½ cup onion, chopped (1 to 2 cups)
- ¼ to ½ cup bell pepper,chopped (1 to 2 cups)
- 6 eggs (24 eggs)
- 1 cup half & half or almond milk (4 cups)
- ½ cup water or chicken broth (2 cups)
- 2 cups cheese (8 cups)
- Brown and drain the sausage.
- Saute onions and peppers in a little of the sausage grease until tender. (They will finish cooking in the casserole.)
- Place sausage in bottom of greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. (If making for the freezer too, I use foil pans and just divide the meat evenly among four pans.)
- Spread onions and peppers over the meat in the pan.
- Mix eggs, half and half, water/broth, and cheese together.
- Pour egg mixture over all.
- Bake at 350 degrees convection for 30 to 40 minutes covered (regular oven 45 to 60); uncover last ten minutes.
- Cover, label, and freeze remaining ones if you made four.
Amazing Breakfast Casserole
1. Defrost in fridge overnight.
2. Bake at 350 degrees convection for 30 to 40 minutes covered (regular oven 45 to 60); uncover last ten minutes.
Want to Be Sugar-Free?
Tell me where you'd like me to send your free Sugar-Free Solutions guide and recipe book!