Hi! I’m Donna Reish, IF teacher, weight loss coach, blogger, and half of “The Minus 220 Pound Pair” as my husband and I have lost over 220 pounds together (160 of that in the past couple of years through the Weight Loss Lifestyle habits and strategies I teach!).
In this episode, I present the last in a four-part series on qualities and skills needed in order to lose/maintain weight.
Welcome! The first three episodes in this series were so helpful for me as a preparer/teacher!
In this last episode of the series, I delve into three more skills/qualities:
3) Goal Setting
There are many reasons that in-person meeting groups are so successful—one of which is the accountability they provide! Twelve-step types of food programs, Weight Watchers, hospital programs, etc., all have the critical (for many!) element of accountability through weighing in, rewarding, and training.
Our modern day accountability has shifted to FB groups, private coaching, group coaching, etc., but these still maintain that element of others seeing what/how you’re doing.
Accountability is helpful for many people—the key is knowing how much and what type of accountability YOU need and want.
Next, I taught about planning. Again, knowing the TYPE of planner (and dieter) you are is super helpful. It is best to get out of the habit of saying “I’m not a planner” but instead say, “I am this type of planner” to help you realize that you can plan—it just might not look like someone else’s plan. (Get your free First Four Journal sheets here!)
One of the most important questions we can ask ourselves when it comes to planning is the same one we need to ask ourselves when it comes to our protocol creation: What Will I Really Do? (See Perfect Storm at DonnaReish.com)
Lastly, the skill/quality we need is that of goal setting. In this area, I talked about making realistic goals that match up with our food protocol. If we aren’t making a “painful calorie deficit,” we will not have a fast weight loss. This is perfectly fine, but we must acknowledge it and not think we should be losing weight faster than we are.
Also in the areas of goal setting, we can plan for the next ten pounds, then ten more, etc., rather than trying to go down too low all at once.
Lastly, we need to consider non-weight goals all the time! I discussed about a dozen non-weight goals that I have every day—these are habit building that will help lead to my weight goal.
Find all of my episodes, outlines, and articles for my two weekly broadcasts:
(1) Weight Loss Lifestyle broadcast (formerly Donna’s Intermittent Fasting Broadcast)
Sign up for my free webinar!
Think Feel Eat 47 Outline Last Qualities for Weight Loss (IV of IV)
1. Qualities are built incrementally
2. We can learn to apply our qualities in other areas of life to weight loss when we learn to overcome the brain circuits and hormones!
B. First Two—Episode #44
1. Quality #1: Thoughtfulness
2. Quality #2: Honesty
3. First Four Journal Pages—great way to get started with both of these qualities
4. First Four TFE 42 Benefits of First Four
C. Next Qualities—Episode #45
1. Patience and Perseverance
i. Immediate gratification and delayed gratification
1. Something between the two?
2. Intermediary gratification/planned gratification
ii. Create your own protocol working around your level of self control at that time—What Will I Really Do? TFE 43
D. Next Ones: TFE 46
1. Quality #5: Flexibility
3. Introducing the Self-Coaching Model…TFE #1
3. Goal Setting
1. Maintenance of lost weight and long-term management of obesity
i. In a meta-analysis of 29 long-term weight loss studies, more than half of the lost weight was regained within two years, and by five years more than 80% of lost weight was regained
ii. Some of the most successful programs are those with built-in accountability
1. Bright line and other OA and Food Anonymous groups
2. Weight Watchers
3. Hospital programs
2. Different people need different levels of Accountability
i. Goal is to move from outward motivation to intrinsic motivation
ii. When we need perfection, we need constant Accountability (i.e. AA, OA, FA, Bright Line, Perfect Virtuous Eating, etc.)
3. FB Groups—join my Free group!
1. Type of planner you are
2. Type of dieter you are
3. What will you really do?
H. Goal Setting
1. Realistic weight loss goals
a. Final goal
b. Next goal
c. Maintenance time/diet breaks
2. Non weight goals
4. Keeping track
I. Get More Help!
1. Join my FREE FB group where I record videocast/podcast episodes!
3. Take my month-long Intermittent Fasting course