This cake is perfect for all types of yummy desserts!
Don’t forget to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page for this recipe’s helpful Recipe Keys!
Below are links to the ingredients I use in the recipe above. I am an affiliate for Amazon.com. If you click on the links below I will earn a small commission. Thank you for your support of this blog!
Delicious chocolate cupcakes!
- butter and flour for coating and dusting the cake pan
- 1½ cups Very Low Carb Flour Mix* (or other other low carb baking blend with ½ almond flour and ½ other ingredients)
- 1¼ cups granulated Pyure (or Gentle Sweet or Homemade Pyure or other stevia blend or double a cup-for-cup sugar substitute)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ TBSP baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup almond milk or buttermilk or half and half
- ½ cup sour cream or yogurt
- ¾ cup warm water
- ¼ cup melted butter or oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter pans. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Mix together flour, Pyure, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, butter/oil, and vanilla.
- Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
- Pour batter into one 9x13; two rounds; or 18 to 24 cupcake wells (depending on size of cupcakes you want).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick in center of cake comes out clean. (Convection oven: 22 to 28 minutes.)
- Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
Very Low Carb (VLC): These are very low carb. My Very Low Carb Flour Mix has like a dozen carbs per cup!
Family-Friendly (FF): Super family-friendly. I don’t think any child or adult would know that these are made with Very Low Carb Flour Mix and sugar-free sweetener.
Store-Bought-Stella (SBS): Lots of ingredients but really not hard to mix up. You can buy a premade low carb baking mix to use in my recipes calling for Very Low Carb Flour Mix, if desired.
Homemade Hannah (HH): Homemade chocolate cake….ahhh…
Freezer Cooking (FC): These freeze fine. I keep them in my freezer to grab when I have a chocolate cookie craving and candy will not fill it!
Trim Healthy Mama-Friendly (THM) (www.trimhealthymama.com): This is an S cake. I suppose it could move into E territory by using half Very Low Carb Flour Mix and half Oat Fiber (no carbs, no fat) and by using almond milk, fat free yogurt, and omitting the butter. Let me know if you try this!
Sugar Free (SF): Of course, you will want to use unsweetened cocoa, but this is very sugar-free.
Gluten-Free (GF): Yes! My Very Low Carb Flour Mix is gluten free!
I’d like to know what you used for the fancy stuff on top. I want to make a cake that looks like that with creamy stuff and chocolate frosting in the picture. Do you have those recipes available. Looks delicious!
On the cake, it has a layer of white cream cheese frosting and a layer of chocolate cream cheese frosting. (It is a version of Ho Ho Cake!) On the cupcakes, it is one of my Cream Cheese Frosting. Here is the recipe for those frostings. Happy baking! https://donnareish.com/five-sugar-free-cream-cheese-frostings/
Thanks so much!
Loved your flour and chocolate muffin recipe best cake mixture I’ve tried in last year of being on a low carb diet. Looking forward experimenting with flour. One question for you although cake crumb was soft and beautiful muffins did develop quite a hard crust on top. Is this normal and do you know of anything I can change to avoid this? Many thanks