Dips are perfect additions to holiday get togethers! They are great to have out while you are finishing dinner and everyone is gathered around the kitchen looking for food! They are great for potlucks (especially when people anxiously await your dip!). And they are great for appetizer nights.
I have made Mexican dips forever —with seven kids, you can imagine the chips and crackers we have gone through over the past years! You can try my favorite cheese spread here, my favorite cheeseball here, and my low carb crackers and chips here!
For many years, I made the “traditional” Hot Mexican Dip—you know, no bean chili, Velveeta cheese, ground beef, etc. And while my crew has really liked this, I have come to not enjoy the canned chili taste—and have not liked how pasty/thick it gets. It doesn’t seem to keep a creaminess.
So when I got a taste of this new version a few years ago, I jumped on it and loved it. It stays creamy, doesn’t taste canned (in spite of the cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup), and is the perfect dip consistency.
So if you are wanting to up your Hot Mexican Dip game, try this one! If you are lower carb, you can still use this dip with rolled up low carb soft tortilla shells and/or the aforementioned low carb crackers/chips made out of low carb torts.
I think you and your guests will love this recipe!
- 1 large block of Velveeta
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 block ceam cheese
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 lb sausage (or hamburger or combination)
- chili powder to taste
- Fry meat and drain thoroughly. (Note: If you keep meat fried up in your freezer like I do, a pound is roughly 2½ cups.)
- Cube Velveeta and cream cheese.
- Combine all except chili powder and heat in microwave, crock pot, or stove top. (If using micro or stove top, be sure to stir often as things start to heat up and melt.)
- Add chili powder to taste.
- Note: I use half sausage and half hamburger. I like the taste better than plain hamburger.
Want to Be Sugar-Free?
Tell me where you'd like me to send your free Sugar-Free Solutions guide and recipe book!